Public Summary of the September 18, 2020, Special Called Board Meeting Held in the Board Room in Central Library via Zoom Conference
Call to Order: Board meeting was called to order by President Eunice Johnson Rogers at 4:34 p.m.
Roll Call: President Eunice Johnson Rogers
Invocation: President Eunice Johnson Rogers
1. Eunice Johnson Rogers Chairman Present
2. Fatima Carter Trustee Present
3. Judge Scott Vowell Trustee Present
4. Mona Lisa Morris Trustee Absent
5. Lynn Flowers-Martin Trustee Present
6. Sherri Nielson Trustee Present
7. Kimberly Richardson Trustee Present
8. James Sullivan Trustee Present
9 Jamal McCaskey Advisory Absent
10 Malera Wright Assistant City Attorney Present
Library & City Staff Attendance
1. Floyd Council Executive Director Present
2. Janine Langston Deputy Director Present
3. Damein Baity Chief Financial Officer Present
4. Kimberley Wiley Administration Office Absent
5. Jamilah Muhammad Interim Personnel Officer Absent
6 Karyn Davis-West Regional Manager Present
7. Bessie Miller Regional Manager Present
8. Yolanda Hardy Regional Manager Present
9. Roy Williams Director of Public Relations Present/Zoom
10. Catherine Frey Director of Library Development Present/Zoom
11. Richard Manoske IMS Administrator Present
12 Terry Oglesby City Architect (COB) Absent
Birmingham Public Library Employees and Citizens Present and on Zoom:
Birmingham Public Library Employees and Citizens: 115
Budget Reconciliation for FY 2020-2021:
The Library was advised to reconcile the budget with funding for 2020-2021. Management team prepared proposals for possible staff reductions associated with furloughs that are needed. Recommended to the Library Board that the recommendations be reviewed in order to make the final decisions on the Special Called Board Meeting on Thursday, September 18, 2020, at 4:34 p.m.
- Trustee Lynn Flowers-Martin called the Special Called Board Meeting into executive session.
- Trustee Fatima Carter seconded and the meeting was called into executive session.
- Attorney Malaria Wright called the meeting into executive session to discuss the legal ramifications and legal options that are likely to lead to litigations if the Board pursues a course of action.
Executive Session: The Special Called Board Meeting was reconvened at 5:58 p.m.
Effective October 1, 2020, until June 30, 2021, the Birmingham Public Library has $3.6 million left in its $6.2 million budget. The recommendation by the library management to furlough 158 Birmingham Public Library employees (91 full-time and 67 part-time employees): Approved
- Trustee Sherri Nielson motioned to accept the recommendation by the library management to furlough 158 Birmingham Public Library employees (91 full-time and 67 part-time employees).
- Trustee Lynn Flowers-Martin seconded the motion.
- The Board responded unanimously in favor to approve the motion.
- Eunice Johnson Rogers confirmed the recommendation and the decision was approved .
- The effective date for the Birmingham Public Library employee furloughs is Friday, September 25, 2020.
Adjournment: 6:01 p.m.