Web Summary of Meeting via Zoom Conference
Birmingham Public Library May 2020 Board Meeting Summary
The May 12, 2020 Board meeting was called to order by President Eunice Johnson Rogers at 4:31 p.m.
Trustees: Eunice Johnson Rogers, Judge Scott Vowell, Lynn Flowers- Martin, Fatima Carter, Kimberly Richardson, Willie S. Davis III, James Sullivan, Sherri Nielson
Trustees Absent: Jamal McCaskey, Mona Lisa Morris
Staff Present: Floyd Council, Executive Director; Damein Baity, Chief Financial Officer; Karyn Davis-West, Central Manager; Janine Langston, Deputy Director; Kimberley Wiley, Jamilah Muhammad, Human Resources Technician; Yolanda Hardy, Southern-Western Regional Manager; Edith Mayor, Bessie Miller, Catherine Frey, Director of Library Development; Roy Williams, Director of Public Relations.
Others Present: Malera Wright, Assistant City Attorney
Floyd Council, Executive Director presented the outline for the proposed reopening recovery plan to the City of Birmingham regarding COVID-19 and staff returning to work.
Mr. Council reminded the Board the library will not be open to the public until the City and the Library Board approves the reopening of the library to the public. He stated that staff will have to follow all the guidelines and elements directed by the Mayor’s Leadership team until directed otherwise. Kimberly Richardson asked why staff were being asked to return to work. He stated more than 2500 employees have been working throughout the city during the COVID-19 pandemic. He also informed the board that the Mayor’s Leadership team directed all city employees to return to work on May 18, 2020.
No discussion was held about any proposed date for reopening the library system.
Janine Langston, Deputy Director presented the following updates about Virtual Library Services and the Proposed Public Service return to Work Plan:
- Virtual Programming will continue
- Staff have been working and sanitizing all the buildings
- Posters and face masks have been provided by the City regarding COVID-19 to staff
- Team meeting were given last week to address any issues or concerns about returning to work
- Sanitation policies and procedures were shared with staff
- Manage and follow quarantine (at least 72 hours) procedures for returning materials
- Small taskforce groups will meet virtually to develop proposed solutions to public service operations
- Each location will be reviewed for distancing and to adjust for traffic flows, including restrooms, stairwells, entrances and exits
- Appropriate signage and 6 ft. social distancing markers will be posted
- Reference continues via email
- Virtual programming will continue
- Online training will continue
- Develop process for curbside pickup to possibly begin on June 1
- Launch 2020 Virtual Summer Learning program
- Processing backlog of materials
- Books-by-Mail service will resume
- Start accepting mail and reactive subscription services for paper and periodicals
- Begin pick-up and delivery to all locations
- Evaluate staffing levels at all locations and make any necessary adjustments
- Considerations: schedules, PPE, social distancing, vulnerable staff
Damein Baity, Chief Financial Officer presented the finance report and it was approved. Eunice Johnson Rogers motioned to accept the finance report as presented. Kimberley Richardson motioned to accept the finance report. Judge Scott Vowell seconded the motion to accept the finance report.
Eunice Johnson Rogers motioned to accept the Agenda as presented. Judge Scott Vowell motioned to accept the Agenda as presented. Sherri Nielson seconded the motion to accept the Agenda as reported and it was approved. Eunice Johnson Rogers moved to accept the Agenda as printed.
Eunice Johnson Rogers motioned to accept the Consent Agenda as presented. Kimberly Richardson motioned to accept the Agenda as presented. Sherri Nielson seconded the motion to accept the Agenda as reported and it was approved. Eunice Johnson Rogers moved to accept the Agenda as printed.
Eunice Johnson Rogers motioned to have the Policy, Procedure and Bylaws Committee added to the agenda. Kimberly Richardson accepted the motion to add the Policy, Procedure and Bylaws Committee added to the agenda and Willie Davis III seconded the motion. Eunice Johnson Rogers moved to accept the Agenda as printed.
Judge Scott Vowell presented the recommendation of the Policy, Procedure and Bylaws Committee to be divided into two committees. 1. Advocacy & Development 2. Fundraising Committee. Kimberly Richardson stated she didn’t understand the rationale to start another committee. Willie Davis II stated he would like the Board to have a committee that focus more on the fundraising aspect for the library. Fatima Cater suggested starting a subcommittee. Eunice Johnson Rogers asked Malera Wright, Assistant City Attorney about the legal aspect of changing the Policy, Procedure and Bylaws Committee into two committees. Malera Wright informed the board that the written proposal has to be presented to the board 30 days in advance before a vote is taken. Kimberly Richardson suggested we could set up a special committee for Advocacy. Judge Scott Vowell withdrew his recommendation of his report to separate Policy, Procedure and Bylaws Committee.
Eunice Johnson Rogers asked for the proposed standing committee dates and the following updates were made.
Advocacy, Fundraising &Development Committee Willie Davis: Chair Fourth Monday at 4:30 p.m.
Long Range Planning Committee Kimberly Richardson: Chair Pending update from Chair & Committee
Personnel Committee Fatima Carter: Chair Fourth Tuesday of the Month at 5:30 p.m.
Finance Committee Mona Lisa Morris: Chair Pending update from Chair & Committee
Policy, Procedures, & By-Laws Committee Judge Scott Vowell: Chair Pending update from Chair & Committee
Trustee Comments were as follows:
Eunice Johnson Rogers thanked the staff for all they do for the library.
James Sullivan told everyone to be safe and keep his family in prayer.
Kimberly Richardson stated she appreciated all the hard work the staff was doing and she thanked the staff for the resources the library has been providing for patrons.
Fatima Carter thanked the staff for all they do for the library.
Lynn Flowers Martin thanked the library for the programs that are being provided to the public.