- Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
- Call To Order
- Public Voices
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Consent Agenda
- Terry Oglesby
- Attorney Malera Wright, City Attorney
- Operational Items Requiring Board Approval
- Reports of the Committees
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
- Director's Report for July 9, 2019
- Board Members' Comments
- Submitted By
Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
July 9, 2019
Central Library Boardroom
Meeting Called By
James A. Sullivan, President
Type of Meeting
Regular Board Meeting
Trustees: Willie S. Davis III, James Sullivan, Judge Scott Vowell, Lynn Flowers -Martin, Mona Lisa Morris , Kimberly Richardson ,Fatima Carter ,Sherri Nielson
Call To Order
- Meeting called to order by President James Sullivan.
- James A. Sullivan provided the invocation.
- No Public Voices
Creig Hoskins gave a Presentation on the Central Monumental Stairs Project. Creig Hoskins gave in great detail to the Board and staff details of how the escalators will be transformed into stairs.
Mr. Council presented the Board with photo copies of the Monumental Stairs Project for Personal Advocacy of how the stairs will look upon completion of the project.
Creig Hoskins informed the Board and the staff that the Monumental Stairs construction would not interfere with everyday work flow. Creig Hoskins stated that a barrier would be placed around the escalator during the construction of the Monumental Stairs Project but there will be noise and people will not be able to enter into the barrier. Creig Hoskins stated that the escalators will be broken down and taken out piece by piece but they will still have to cut into the building. Creig Hoskins stated there will be a Pre-Construction Meeting but there will be no surprises.
Mr. Council stated that he and Karyn Davis-West will be the staff that will be attending the Pre-Construction Meeting.
Creig Hoskins stated he will set up Pre-Construction meeting with Mr. Council and the City to discuss the Do’s and Don’ts’s of the project.
Mr. Council stated once the City gives the go, we will do a Media release to launch the Central Monumental Stairs and a ten minute media release and reception with a sledge hammer to commence the construction of the project.
Creig Hoskins stated he will be meeting with Mr. Council after the bidding process and looked forward to working with the library.
Kimberly Richardson thanked Creig Hoskins for the presentation of the Monumental Stairs Project.Kimberly Richardson stated the visual of the Monumental stairs helped tremendously to clarify what direction Creig Hoskins is going with the project.Kimberly Richardson thanked Creig Hoskins or the effort and time it took for him to put the presentation together.
Approval of Agenda
- Janine Langston informed the Board that the Summer Reading Program had 1,700 participants through Beanstalk not including paper applications.
- Janine Langston informed the Board that the attendance for the Summer Reading have been going very well.
- Janine Langston informed the Board that the number for Summer Reading would not be ready until all the programs were complete but all the programs were going well. James A. Sullivan motioned to approve the Agenda and the Agenda was approved.
Approval of Consent Agenda
- Fatima Carter proposed a change to the minutes because Sherri Nielson’s name was present on the minutes but not on the attendance.
- Kimberly Richardson proposed a change to the minutes because her name was under Advisory Member instead of Trustee on the attendance.
- James A. Sullivan motioned to approve Consent Agenda with changes. Sherri Nielson seconded the motion and it was approved.
- No new business
Attorney Malera Wright, City Attorney
- No new business
Operational Items Requiring Board Approval
- Mr. Council asked Damein Baity to present the 2020 Budget proposal.
- Damein Baity informed the Board that we are working on last year’s budget until the budget is approved.
- Damein Baity informed the Board that staffing will be held up until the budget is approved. Damein Baity informed the Board that a hold is on filling all positions until the budget is approved.
- Damein Baity stated the VOIP project was a go for the City. The City approved the surplus from positions not filled at the Library to be use to complete the VOIP Project.
- James A. Sullivan motioned to approve the Finance report and it was approved.
Reports of the Committees
- Fatima Carter suggested the six vacant security positions be converted into two fulltime positions.
- Fatima Carter informed the Board that the City is transitioning the security positons into Armed Positions. Fatima Carter stated that she has several concerns about security being Armed Guards.
- Fatima Carter asked if the Armed Security Guards be required to take background checks.
- Mr. Council stated the City wanted the Armed Guards to be trained by the City Police Officers.
- Sherri Nielson asked will the Armed Security Guards be contracted through the Library.
- Kimberly Richardson asked if the title change to the Building Service Workers to Laborers require a step in pay grade.
- Kimberly Richardson asked would the change affect the Library’s Budget.
- Mr. Council informed the Board that we do not have a choice in the change of the Building Service workers because it was directed by the City, but there would not be a pay change or affect the budget.
- Mr. Council stated that he and Edith Major would meet with Jill (City’s Human Resource Department) to discuss the details and a list of concerns about the Armed Security positions and vacancies on July, 2019 prior to the next Board meeting and all the deliverables.
- Kimberly Richardson asked Mr. Council could the Board present a list of concerns for Edith Major and himself to present to Jill (City’s Human Resource Department).
- Fatima Carter stated the Board would like a list of concerns Friday before Mr. Council meets with Jill to present to the Board.
- Mr. Council stated a list of concerns will be available for the Board and if they would like to add their concerns they could also speak with City officials.
- Fatima Carter recommended we moved to accept the Building Service Worker name change and it was approved.
Policy, Procedure, and Bylaws Committee
- Judge Vowell proposed a change to the Food Policy, no outside food or beverage allowed in the library unless they meet the requirements for example, small packs of snacks (examples include single size packs of chips, cookies, and crackers) are allowed in study areas. Judge Vowell also proposed a change to size of the drink not to exceed 20 oz. or container with open lids would be allowed in the library.
- Janine Langston stated the 20 oz. drink will help set a guideline for patrons but no one would be put out if it was larger.
- James A. Sullivan asked how will we enforce this policy and who would be responsible for enforcing this policy.
- Mr. Council stated that side by side flyers would be placed out for the public with examples of what will be allowed and not allowed into the library.
- Judge Vowell proposed a change to the amount of time the meeting room would be reserved without additional fee being implemented.
- Kimberly Richardson asked the Board to go back and look at an Event Planner job position.
Judge Vowell went over the rates of the meeting rooms.
• Conference Rooms 15 people $25.00 $20.00 Non-Refundable
• Meeting Rooms 75 people $50.00 $25.00 Non-Refundable
• Auditoriums Over 100 people $100.00 $50.00 Non-Refundable
- Judge Vowell motioned to holding the room for four hours and a usage surcharge be implemented for an additional fee if the patron went over the four hours.
- Kimberly Richardson recommended looking at previous proposals concerning meeting room policies and discussing the next Board Meeting.
- Willie Davis III recommended the Library purchasing their own supplies to expand and save money to cut back on rentals that are used for events.
- Judge Vowell moved to approve the Food Policy with provisions to the container size and snack size. Sherri Nielson seconded and the Board approved.
- Judge Vowell motioned to approve the Meeting Room Policy with time limitation and it was approved.
- Judge Vowell recommended meeting again to discuss the Meeting Room Policies.
- No Unfinished Business
- No new Business
Director's Report for July 9, 2019
- Mr. Council gave thanks to his entire team for all they do and continue to do in the future projects.
- Mr. Council gave thanks to the Library Board for governing capacity as we continue to do wonderful things for the Library.
Board Members' Comments
- Willie Davis, III discussed the ALA Conference and some events he attended that would be beneficial to our staff on how to defuse situations within the work environment. Willie Davis III also discussed getting book mobile and how to get some resources to get that project up and going.
- Willie Davis III discussed increasing Social Worker hours to two hours a week and half days instead of the whole day.
- Kimberly Richardson gave thanks to the staff for the wonderful events and programs they always host. Kimberly Richardson informed the Board that she will be continuing the Yoga Classes another year.
- Judge Vowell stated he was happy with the progress of the stairs.
- Lynn Flowers - Martin stated she was very excited about the programs and looked forward to seeing eight more libraries the following week.
- Sherri Neilson thanked everyone for everything they do for Birmingham Public Library.
- Mona Lisa Morris thanked everyone for getting her up to date with everything at the library.
- James A. Sullivan thanked the Board for everything they do.
Next Board Meeting is Tuesday September 10, 2019
- James A. Sullivan adjourned.
Floyd Council, Secretary