- Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
- Call To Order
- Public Voices
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Consent Agenda
- Terry Oglesby, City Architect
- Unfinished Business
- Old Business
- New Business
- Attorney Malera Wright, City Attorney
- Operational Items Requiring Board Approval
- Reports of the Committees
- Board Members' Comments
- Submitted By
Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
June 11, 2019
Central Library Boardroom
Meeting Called By
James A. Sullivan, President
Type of Meeting
Regular Board Meeting
Trustees: Willie S. Davis III, James A. Sullivan, Eunice Johnson Rogers, Judge Scott Vowell, Lynn Flowers-Martin, Mona Lisa Morris, Patricia B. Rumore, Friends Foundation President
Call To Order
- Meeting called to order by President James A. Sullivan.
- Eunice Johnson Rogers provided the invocation.
- Shawn Caddell discussed how important Birmingham Public Library has been to her on finding herself personally. Shawn Caddell discussed how much she has learned and gave thanks to the Board and Mr. Council for the opportunity to work for Birmingham Public Library.
- Karyn Davis – West gave a presentation about the ACE Program and Citizen Services.
Janine Langston gave a presentation about Summer Reading: 400 Free Programs, 808 Participants Registered, 10 Division Youth Services Students (Literacy Program), Alabama Ballet, McWane Science Center
SaDawn Smith discussed partnering with the Birmingham Public Libraries to teach, and encourage literacy.
SaDawn Smith stated there are several organizations that are sponsoring this program: Wild Child Catering; Advent day school; Toys and Boys; Freight; Arrington Farm Home.
SaDawn Smith stated that this program would be working with all 19 libraries, and several poverty stricken areas.
SaDawn Smith stated this program would last a year and several incentives will be given for participating in the program.
Approval of Agenda
Eunice Johnson Rogers motioned to approve the agenda and it was approved.
Approval of Consent Agenda
Sheri Nielson motioned to approve the Consent Agenda and it was approved.
Terry Oglesby, City Architect
- Terry Olgesby discussed the VOIP system and informed the Board that this project would have to go before the Finance Committee. Judge Scott Vowell asked Terry Olgesby about the rendering for the Central Stairs Project.
- Mr. Council informed the Board that he had not received the rendering from the contractor and he would make them available as soon as possible.
- Terry Olgesby informed the Board everything was on schedule and he would inform the Board of any changes that may occur.
- Mr. Council suggested as a part of Community Engagement the Board attended two regional libraries as a part of the Neighborhood Tours.
- The Board agreed on Springville Road Library on August 13, 2019 and Avondale Library on October 8, 2019 for these Library Board dates.
- Judge Chuck Price swore in the Birmingham Public Library's two newest Board of Trustee members during the Board meeting.
- Mona Lisa Morris was sworn into office on Tuesday June 11, 2019, and she replaces Wardine Alexander.
- Lynn Flowers - Martin was sworn into office on Tuesday June 11, 2019, and she replaces past President Gwendolyn Amamoo.
Mr. Council stated the Advocacy Committee and Denise Gilmore would have to meet to discuss funding for the Linn Henley Research Library Fire Suppression System.
Attorney Malera Wright, City Attorney
Malera Wright informed Damein Baity to get in contact with someone from city hall to discuss Emergency Purchases.
Operational Items Requiring Board Approval
- Chief Financial Officer Damein Baity presented the financial report and it was accepted.
Reports of the Committees
- Pat Rumore presented monthly quarterly report. Pat Rumore gave her projected yearly budget for the year.
- Kimberly Richardson stated she wanted the Library to set up continuity calendar events that are signature to start on specific days every year and how much money they want targeting for programs.
- Willie Davis asked for quarterly reports to be presented to Library Board.
Board Members' Comments
- Judge Scott Vowell stated he was thankful for the City official’s commitment.
- Sheri Nielson thanked Janine Langston for all she does for Birmingham Public Library.
- Lynn Flowers -Martin expressed, she is looking forward to working with the Board.
- Mona Lisa Morris stated she is looking forward to working with the Board.
- Eunice Johnson Rogers stated that the staff really represents Birmingham Public Library and she welcomed the Board members.
- James A. Sullivan thanked the new and old Board members for their support and everything they do for Birmingham Public Library.
Next Board Meeting is Tuesday August 13, 2019
James A. Sullivan adjourned.
Floyd Council, Secretary