- Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
- Call To Order
- Public Voices
- Approval of Agenda
- Approval of Consent Agenda
- Terry Oglesby, City Architect
- Malera Wright, Assistant City Attorney
- Operational Items Requiring Board Approval
- Reports of the Committees
- Unfinished Business
- New Business
- Director's Report
- Board Members' Comments
- Submitted By
Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
May 14, 2019
Five Points West Library
Meeting Called By
James A. Sullivan, President
Type of Meeting
Regular Board Meeting
Trustees:Gwendolyn Amamoo, Willie S. Davis III, James A Sullivan, Eunice Johnson Rogers, Judge Scott Vowell,Patricia B. Rumore, Friends Foundation President ,Fatima Carter ,Sherri Nielson, Kimberly Richardson
Call To Order
Meeting called to order by President James Sullivan. Eunice Johnson Rogers provided the invocation.
No Public Voices.
Approval of Agenda
James A. Sullivan motioned to approve the agenda and it was approved. Sherri Nieslon seconded the motion and it was approved.
Approval of Consent Agenda
Sherri Nielson informed the Board that the minutes needed to be adjusted because her name was not present on the Board member’s present but was noted in the writing of the minutes.
James A. Sullivan motioned to approve the Consent Agenda.
Kimberly Richardson motioned to accept the changes recommended by trustee Sherri Nielson and Eunice Rogers Johnson seconded the motion, and it was approved.
Terry Oglesby, City Architect
- Terry Oglesby, City Architect was present and he gave a brief update on the three Capital Projects. Terry Oglesby stated the old building had been demolished and the contractual agreement was January of 2020 but they agreed on an accelerated date for November of this year. Terry Oglesby stated there was a Ground Breaking scheduled for June 10, 2019, if approved by the Board.
- Terry Oglesby stated the next project was the Central monumental stairs and the architect had completed the rendering and they were ready to begin the bidding.
- Sheri Nelson informed Terry Oglesby how the architect can start the bidding if the Board had not seen the rendering.
- James A. Sullivan asked Terry Oglesby could he email or present the rendering to the Board.
- Terry Oglesby informed the Board that the architect could email or present the rendering however the Board desired.
- Terry Oglesby informed the Board that the drawings for the new VOIP phone system had been received and he submitted them to Phillip Willingham.
- Kimberly Richardson suggested we have a meeting to discuss new projects, because we have new members and several new projects and we need to discuss whether or not everything is fully funded.
- Gwendolyn Amamoo asked how the Board was going to address some of the issues that Kimberly Richardson was concerned about.
- The Board set a date for May 30, 2019 for The Committee of the Whole Meeting to address some of these issues.
Malera Wright, Assistant City Attorney
There is no new Business.
Operational Items Requiring Board Approval
- Chief Financial Officer Damein Baity presented the financial report.
- Kimberly Richardson requested a copy of grants list and how much the funding is in grants.
- Mr. Council informed her that he would have the list for the Board, he also informed the Board of the positions that where taken during the City Department Budget Proposal and the positions that were taken from the library.
- Mr. Council informed the Board that he would have those documents present at the next Board Meeting.Mr. Council discussed changing the food in the vending machines to healthier foods for the staff.
- Sherri Nielson thanked the Friends Foundation for providing a great service in the book store.
- Kimberly Richardson extended an invitation to Pat Rumore to attend monthly Board meetings due to issues that were unanswered or clarified during the last Board meeting.
- Fatima Carter requested that funds from Friends Foundation be transferred over to the library.
- James A. Sullivan asked that an Advocacy Committee Meeting be held and Pat Rumore or a representative from the Friends Foundation attends the meeting.
- Fatima Carter asked the Friends Foundation for figures of the money that has been collected from January until now for snacks.
Reports of the Committees
Special Called Meeting
- Terry Oglesby discussed the Wylam project and how everything was going on schedule. Terry Oglesby informed the Board that everything on the Ground Breaking Ceremony can go as scheduled. Terry Oglesby discussed the VOIP system and how that project was going on schedule but due to some unforeseen issues we would need additional funding.
- Damien Baity informed the board that we could use funding from vacant positions that were not filled for the physical year as surplus for the additional funding.
- Mr. Council informed the Board that several positions were deleted throughout the system.
- Terry Oglesby stated that Wylam project should be completed two weeks before the actual date it was due in December of 2020.
- Denise Bell discussed the projects that were completed; Ensley Branch Library HVAC unit. The North Avondale Library has a crack in the foundation and she advised the Board to get in contact with DPW. The Powderly Library Reroofing was complete, but DPW and Alexander will provide some assistance. The Titusville Public Library sub - service has some shifting but this is not as pressing as the fire suppressant system at the Linley Henley Library.
- Denise Bell informed us that Central Library stairs was top priority. Denise Bell stated that Linley Henley Library – fire suppression is very important but they would not be able to do anything until funding was available for the projects.
- Creig Hoskins informed the Board about that the Central stairs project and changes he made to the rendering of the stairs. Creig Hoskins stated the bidding would start the following week. Creig Hoskins gave the Board a presentation of changes and explained in great detail the changes to the rendering of the monumental Central Stairs Project. Creig Hoskins stated that he would send over a copy of the rendering of the stairs and the latest updates.
No unfinished business.
Mr. Council recommended Wylam Ground Breaking ceremony for June 10, 2019 at 1:30 upon the Board’s approval. Judge Scott Vowell motioned to accept the Wylam Ground Breaking Ceremony. Gwendolyn Amamoo seconded and it was accepted.
- Mr. Council thanked the Board and staff for everything they do for Birmingham Public Library. And presented a letter of thanks to the Friends Foundation.
- Eunice Rodgers Johnson asked if there were certain Regional Managers that were delegated to go to City Council Meetings.
- Mr. Council informed Eunice Rogers that only Regional Managers, Damein Baity or Edith Mayor was allowed to attend City Department meetings.
- James A. Sullivan inquired about the positons that will possibly be taken and what are the actions that will be taken.
- Mr. Council stated that June is National Library week and the Board and staff will be accepting applications for Deputy Director and other key positions during the ALA conference.
- Judge Scott Vowell motioned for the Library Board members that would be attending the ALA conference are approved and it was approved.
- Karyn Davis- West discussed how successful the Birmingham Public Library’s first Passport Fair went on May 11, 2019. Karyn Davis –West stated the staff did 112 applications and took 102 passport photos and it was a great success.
- Mr. Council requested permission for himself and some of the library trustees to attend the Urban Library Council Conference. Floyd Council stated this would be a great opportunity, and we would be the only library from the southeast to attend.
- Gwendolyn Amamoo asked Mr. Council, What we can expect from him in the next few months.
- Mr. Council stated he will have a Committee of the Whole Meeting on May 30, 2019; an Advocacy Meeting will be set for June 3, 2019, a grant list will be provided, copies of the Friends Foundation financial report for January until now be presented to the Board at the next meeting.
Board Members' Comments
- Gwendolyn Amamoo thanked the Five Points West Library for hosting the meeting and she thanked the board and staff for everything they do for Birmingham Public Library.
- Eunice Johnson Rogers thanked the staff for everything they do and how hard they work for Birmingham Public Library.
- Eunice Johnson Rogers thanked Karyn Davis- West and staff for how quickly the staff completed her passport application.
- Fatima Carter gave great praise to Five Points West staff for hosting the Board meeting at Five Points West.
- Fatima Carter asked for an update of the funding for security.
- Mr. Council stated in the City Budget proposal the city the decreased the budget by half the original budget for security and the head of security position was no longer available
- Sherri Nielson thanked the staff and Mr. Council for all they do for Birmingham Public Library.
- Judge Scott Vowel expressed how he was so upset about the stairs and if there is anything the Board can do and he was on board.
- Kimberly Richardson thanked the Five Points West staff for hosting the Board meeting at Five Points West. Kimberly Richardson expressed how thankful she was the staff cleaned the carpet in Arrington Auditorium.
- Kimberly Richardson expressed a concern for security in the Friends Foundation and asked if there was a reason for the presence of security at that level.
- Karyn Davis -West expressed that there were a few issues that have occurred and this is just for their safety.
- Pat Rumore stated it was just for crowd control and the safety of the children.
- Willie Davis expressed a concern about the Security budget.
- James Sullivan thanked Five Points West for hosting the Board Meeting and Pat Rumore for attending the meeting.
- Pat Rumore asked for a task force to get an understanding on what we are all trying to accomplish for the library.
- James A. Sullivan gave a special thanks to the Board and the staff for everything they do.
Next Board Meeting is Tuesday June 9, 2019
Judge Scott Vowell adjourned.
Floyd Council, Secretary