Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes

Minutes

March 24, 2016

8:30 a.m.

Central Library First Floor Conference Room

Meeting Called By

Kimberly Richardson, President

Type of Meeting

Regular Board Meeting

Attendees

Trustees: Kimberly Richardson, President; Georgia Morgan Blair, Vice President; Gwendolyn R. Amamoo, Parliamentarian; Willie S. Davis III; Patty A. Pilkerton; Eunice Johnson Rogers; Dora U. Sims; James A. Sullivan; The Honorable Scott Vowell; Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch
Advisory Member Present: Dr. Regina Ammon
Staff: Angela Fisher Hall, Director; Sandra Vick Lee, Deputy Director; Olivia Alison, Director of Development; Carrie Campbell, Grant Writer; Karyn Davis-West, Public Service Coordinator; Danny Dorroh, Business Office Manager; Tiffanie Jeter, Development Associate; Edith Major, Personnel Officer; Roy Williams, Director of Public Relations; Jamilah Woods, Personnel Assistant; Lance M. Simpson, BPL System Teen Librarian, Mary McCann, Administrative Assistant
Others Present: Hope Cooper, BPL Retiree; Virginia Guthrie, BPL Retiree; Kay Kinnear, BPL Retiree; Thracie L. Pace, Manager BPL Friends Bookstore;

Call To Order

Public Voices

Dr. Regina Ammon, President of the Friends of the Birmingham Public Library, announced the progress of the BPL Friends Bookstore. She introduced Thracie Pace, Manager of the Friends Bookstore and Hope Cooper, BPL Retiree.

Presentations

Kimberly Richardson introduced Lance Simpson, BPL System Teen Librarian and Carrie Campbell, Grant Writer. Lance Simpson presented information about teen programming including grants received adding up to approximately $83,000 in grant funding including $50,000 from the UAB Benevolent Fund Community Impact Award. A portion of the funds have been put towards a classroom set of MacBooks and programs such as robotics and computer coding. UAB School of Engineering has formally partnered with BPL to provide after school programs at the BPL, Southside, and Woodlawn. Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch commended Simpson on his presentation and active role in the library. Kimberly Richardson presented Certificates of Accomplishment to Simpson and Carrie Campbell.

Approval of Agenda

Dora U. Sims requested to make a change to add Advocacy Report before Unfinished Business. With the addition of the Advocacy Report, Sims moved approval of the agenda. Judge Scott Vowell seconded the motion, and it was approved.

Approval of Consent Agenda

Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch requested to remove the Policy Committee report from the consent agenda if there were questions. There were no questions about the Policy Committee report, but there were others requesting to have the personnel actions and financial reports removed from the consent agenda. Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch moved to approve the consent agenda with only the minutes from February 25, 2016 board meeting and the Policies Committee report. Dora U. Sims seconded the motion which was approved.

Financial Reports

Angela Fisher Hall answered questions about the financial reports, and the action items from these questions included asking the City Council for additional funds on line items that typically reach 100% before the end of the fiscal year such as supplies. Kimberly Richardson recommended a cost-benefit analysis to be conducted for the cost of sending letters in the mail for overdue items and if the financial response if viable for it to continue. Angela Fisher Hall indicated the JCLC Directors may already be looking into this. Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch recommends that certain items in the check history have a line explaining the charges. Welch also recommends asking the contractor working on the map collection to donate his time instead of receiving payment for cataloging the maps.

Personnel Actions

Edith Major presented corrections to the Personnel Actions. Mary McCann’s salary is listed as hourly but needs to be bi-weekly. Juaneka Wiley and Charlene Brooks were removed and will be added next month. Roderick Ziegler’s bi-weekly salary of $2114.40 and Tamiko Nixon’s bi-weekly salary of $1578.40 were added to the report. Georgia Morgan Blair moved approval of Personnel Actions. Dora U. Sims seconded the motion which was approved.

Terry Oglesby, City Architect

Terry Oglesby gave an update on the Woodlawn roof leaks which have been repaired. The repairs need to be checked, and Oglesby will take care of that as soon as he can. The Mayor’s Office is working with Trane to do energy audit on some of the city’s buildings and roofing work to include the Central Library, Springville Road, East Lake, North Avondale, and several other libraries. Oglesby requested a copy of repairs for Inglenook’s air conditioning and roof leak to check to see if it is under warranty.

Nicole King, City Attorney

Nicole King reported that she reviewed the contract for the strategic plan and revised it. She stated the board president and director have reviewed the contract, and it is now in the process of being sent to the consultants. Attorney King notified the Board that Attorney Caroline Jackson is working on the Intellectual Property Agreement and should possibly have it by the beginning of next month.

Operational Items Requiring Board Approval

Committee Reports

Advocacy Committee Report

Unfinished Business

New Business

Director's Report

Overview of Activities for this Period

Perhaps we can revisit this as we talk about our strategic plan and new revenue streams for BPL.

Other Activities Around Our System for this Period:

In this portion of our report, Deputy Director Sandra Vick Lee has given special focus to the variety of partnership our branch and department staff are engaged in carrying out. Please review and let us know if you have questions.

“I'm in the department covering lunches, but we had 46 for the book talk, and 36 in the workshop. Mary Allison is thrilled beyond words. Lots of new faces who aren't regular library patrons, so we plugged the Expo and all of SR's programs, as well as library programs in general. Really positive for the library. Staff here is short, but they are performing like troopers, making everyone welcome, anticipating needs, covering departments, setting up for the author's signing, making signs, directing traffic, assembling handouts and generally just doing everything beautifully. I am so proud of them. I've said it before and I'll say it again, WE HAVE THE BEST STAFF IN THE WORLD!!!!”

Libraries Visited/Meetings Attended/ Community Events During This Period:

This listing basically covers my involvement in activities during this period. Deputy Director Sandra Vick Lee is also involved in a number of activities that she reports to me and those items are used for her evaluation.

Update of Library Services

Mary Stewart, Head of Cataloging, is attending the Annual Innovative User’s Group Meeting in San Diego. This meeting is for all libraries that use this integrated system capable of providing circulation, cataloging, membership, and collection management services. The annual meeting gives participants a look at upcoming trends and updated services.

Facilities Management

Accomplishment of Objectives Set Forth in Strategic Plan

Financial Report and Grants

Where I Need Your Assistance

I need assistance in moving forward with a few items which include the following:

If it is time for your renewal, please let us know. Usually, the renewal packets are sent to the library.

End of Director’s March 2016 Report

Board Member's Comments

Submitted By

Angela Fisher Hall, Board Secretary/ Mary McCann, BPL Senior Secretary