Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
March 28, 2013
Central Library Boardroom
Meeting Called By
Gwendolyn R. Amamoo, President
Type of Meeting
Regular Board Meeting
Trustees: Gwendolyn R. Amamoo, President; Georgia Morgan Blair, Vice-President; Judge Scott Vowell, Parliamentarian; Dr. Monique Gardner-Witherspoon, Patty A. Pilkerton, Kimberly Richardson, Samuel Rumore, Dora Sims, Katrina Watson, Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch
Call To Order
- Meeting called to order by President Gwendolyn R. Amamoo.
- Georgia Blair gave the invocation.
- Judge Scott Vowell moved the approval of the agenda. Georgia Blair seconded the motion, which passed.
- Approval of the financial report will be moved to the April 18, 2013 meeting.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the Personnel Action document. Dora Sims seconded the motion, which passed.
- Changes to the February 28, 2013 Board meeting minutes-
- Presentation- February Board Minutes-"as a child foot soldier" and "will be stored"
Comments- February Board Minutes-"teaching recertification" and "John McAphee"
- Judge Vowell moved the approval of the February 28, 2013 Board meeting minutes with the noted changes. Dora Sims seconded the motion, which carried.
- Changes to the March 13, 2013 Special Called Board meeting minutes: correct spelling of Judge Scott Vowell and Dr. Monique Gardner-Witherspoon and that Katrina Watson should be listed as present. Katrina Watson moved the approval of the March 13, 2013 Board meeting minutes. Dora Sims seconded the motion, which carried.
- Judge Scott Vowell moved the approval of the Director's report. Dora Sims seconded the motion, which carried. Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch abstained.
Swearing In Ceremony
- Gwendolyn Amamoo was sworn in as the 2013 Library Board President.
- Georgia Blair was sworn in as the 2013 Library Board Vice-President.
- Judge Scott Vowell was sworn in as the 2013 Library Board Parliamentarian.
- Patty Pilkerton and Kimberly Richardson were sworn in as Library Board Trustees.
- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch was sworn in for a third term as a Library Board Trustee.
- Judge Donald Blankenship presided over the ceremony. He ended by asking all Board members present to renew their oath.
Star of the Month
- Jennifer Neely received the Star of the Month award for her service to the Library Board.
Terry Oglesby, City Architect
- Progress is being made at the Pratt City Library. The Inglenook project should be ready for bids within the next two weeks.
- The City is in the process of trying to find funding for foundation studies at the Titusville and North Avondale Libraries.
- North Birmingham is still experiencing HVAC problems.
- The City has received a proposal from Schindler to replace the fourth floor down escalator. A decision must be made whether to replace the escalator or wait until the renovation study is completed. The Long Range Planning Committee will meet to discuss this.
- Wandalyn Wright presented the 2013 audit report.
Nicole King, City Attorney
- The Library Board went into executive session.
Long Range Planning Committee Report
- Samuel Rumore moved the approval of the Long Range Planning Committee minutes. Georgia Blair seconded the motion, which carried.
- The Director and Associate Director's car leases will be discussed at the April 18, 2013 Board meeting.
- Samuel Rumore asked about the Eastwood Lease and Renee Blalock stated that administration would check on this.
- Samuel Rumore welcomed the new Library Board members and stated that all Library Board members are asked to contribute $100.00 per year.
- Patty A. Pilkerton stated that she was happy to be on the Library Board.
- Dr. Regina Ammon thanked Black Sheep Kitchen for donating cookies for the Board meeting.
- Kimberly Richardson stated that she was happy to be on the Library Board, commended staff on the audit outcomes, stated that the Grants Professional Association (certification for grants writers) are meeting at the Avondale Library on Friday, April 12, 2013 at noon, and also thanked the Library Board for the support of her book.
- Dora Sims congratulated the new Board members and the 2013 Library Board officers.
- Georgia Blair thanked the Board. Ms. Blair also stated that she has visited the Ensley and Smithfield Library branches and that she is very concerned about security at these branches.
- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch congratulated the Library Board President and Kimberly Richardson on her grant writing book. Mrs. Welch welcomed Patty A. Pilkerton and encouraged administration to get the complete Board packet out by the Friday before the Board meeting.
- Gwendolyn Amamoo stated that administration would send out the Library Board Trustee Academy link and encourage all Board members to complete courses on this site. Mrs. Amamoo has also visited the West End and North Avondale Libraries and observed some of the activities that are going on there. Due to time restrictions, she will save her President's message until the April 18, 2013 Board meeting.
Irene S. Blalock, Secretary