Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
February 28, 2013
Central Library Boardroom
Meeting Called By
Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President
Type of Meeting
Regular Board Meeting
Trustees: Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President; Gwendolyn Amamoo, Vice-President; Georgia Blair, Monique Gardner-Witherspoon, Samuel Rumore, Dora Sims, Judge Scott Vowell, Katrina Watson,
Call To Order
- Meeting called to order by Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch.
- Georgia Blair gave the invocation.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the agenda with an amendment of a presentation. Dora Sims seconded the motion, which passed.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the consent agenda. Dora Sims seconded the motion, which passed.
Terry Oglesby, City Architect
- The Pratt City building construction is progressing but has been hampered some by the rain.
- Creig Hoskins Architecture final drawings for the Inglenook renovations should be submitted to the City this week. The project will go out for bid at the end of March.
- The North Birmingham Library has had recurring air conditioning problems. There are some existing mechanical parts that are not working properly and public works is making the repairs.
- There are ground settlement problems at the North Avondale and Titusville Libraries which has caused cracks in the walls and floors. The City will look to an engineering firm to evaluate and recommend solutions.
- Schindler Elevators has submitted a proposal to replace the six escalators at the Central Library. The cost will be $65,000 each.
- Georgia Blair presented a copy of the summons that she received when serving as a child Foot Soldier for the Civil Rights Movement. The copy of the summons was presented to Jim Baggett and will be stored in the Archives Department of the Birmingham Public Library.
- The Library Board went into executive session.
- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch recommended that the Library Board receive Board Committee minutes from meetings in advance of the regular Board meeting.
- Judge Vowell moved that the Library Board's consideration concerning vehicles be tabled until the March Board meeting. Nell Allen seconded the motion, which passed.
- Georgia Blair presented a replica of the Birmingham Public Library building that she received when she came off the Library Board in 2007.
- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch asked administration to look into receiving an efficiency audit (free of charge) from Alabama Power.
- Renee Blalock distributed the annual report
- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch read the President's Message
Library Board Officer Elections
- For the Office of President- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch nominated Gwendolyn Amamoo and Nell Allen nominated Samuel Rumore. Gwendolyn Amamoo won the Office of President, receiving six votes and Samuel Rumore received three votes.
- For the Office of Vice-President- Dora Sims nominated Georgia Blair and Nell Allen nominated Samuel Rumore. Georgia Blair won the Office of Vice-President, receiving six votes and Samuel Rumore received three votes.
- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch submitted her ALA Midwinter report. Mrs. Welch attends classes at the Jefferson County Personnel Board in order to earn points for teaching recertification. She also asked that Administration distribute information on the 2nd Annual Leadership Conference in Trussville.
- Renee Blalock will send information on Diversity Training.
- Georgia Blair attended the Local Author's Expo as well as the Autograph Party for Ruth Barefield-Pendleton on Saturday, February 2, 2013. Mrs. Blair has also attended three out of four of the Brown Bag Lunches for February which featured the Carlton Reese Choir, Lawson State Community College Choir, and the Carver High School Fine Arts Department Concert (this concert was the largest group that she has ever seen at a Brown Bag). Mrs. Blair also attended the North Avondale Chapter Chatter book discussion of "The Other Side of Dare" in which the author, Vanessa Davis, was present. Also, Chanda Temple received a 2013 Distinguished Leadership Award from the Best in Minority Business Awards.
- Dora Sims attended the Autograph Party for Ruth Barefield-Pendleton on Saturday, February 2, 2013, two of the Brown Bag February programs (Lawson State Community College Choir and the Carver High School Fine Arts Department Concert), and the North Avondale Chapter Chatter book discussion of "The Other Side of Dare". Mrs. Sims also stated that Chanda Temple is an asset to the Birmingham Public Library.
- Katrina Watson congratulated Gwendolyn Amamoo and Georgia Blair on their appointments as Library Board officers and stated that she is looking forward to 2013.
- Judge Vowell congratulated Gwendolyn Amamoo and Georgia Blair on their appointments as Library Board officers.
- Nell Allen congratulated Gwendolyn Amamoo and Georgia Blair on their appointments as Library Board officers and asked that the Library Board continue to support the Learning Tree Park at the Five Points West Library. Nell Allen also stated that this would probably be her last meeting and that she has enjoyed the experience and that two terms should be the maximum for a Board member to be allowed to serve. Mrs. Allen also asked that the Library Board take the power back.
- Samuel Rumore congratulated Gwendolyn Amamoo and Georgia Blair on their appointments as Library Board officers. Mr. Rumore also stated that he was trying out for the Birmingham Public Library's trivia team.
- Gwendolyn Welch thanked Gwendolyn Amamoo and Georgia Blair for serving as Library Board officers, stated that it was up to the Library Board to take our power back and that the Library Board should be meeting with the community. Mrs. Welch also attended all four Brown Bag Lunch programs for the month of February and stated that she loved Birmingham City Schools and thanked Dr. Craig Witherspoon, Mark Sullivan, John Mahaffey, and Deborah Mayes. Mrs. Welch also thanked Administration, the Lawson State Choir, Kelsey Bates, Chanda Temple, Personnel, and Jim Baggett for the Black History Month celebrations. Mrs. Welch also announced that the Young Professionals will host a mixer at the Wine Loft on Thursday, March 28, 2013 from 5:30-7:00 p.m.
- Gwendolyn Amamoo thanked the Library Board for their vote of confidence in electing her as the 2013 Library Board President, congratulated Georgia Blair for being elected as the 2013 Library Board Vice-President, and thanked Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch for leadership. Mrs. Amamoo stated that the Library Board continues to collaborate and improve and believe in Birmingham City Schools. She also thanked Georgia Blair for her contribution to the Library Board.
Irene S. Blalock, Secretary