Trustees: Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President; Nell Allen, Georgia Morgan Blair, Samuel Rumore, Dora Sims, Judge Scott Vowell, Katrina Watson, Dr. Monique Gardner-Witherspoon
Call To Order
- Meeting called to order by President Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch.
- Georgia Blair gave the invocation.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the agenda. Katrina Watson seconded the motion, which passed.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the consent agenda. Katrina Watson seconded the motion, which passed.
- Francine Cooper, employee in the Catalog department, was recognized for her years of service as she is retiring in December. She was presented with a certificate of recognition.
- The 2012 Staff Day Committee was recognized for their work on Staff Day 2012. Each was presented with a certificate of recognition.
- Monique Gardner-Witherspoon was recognized for her work at Girls Incorporated of Central Alabama. Renee Blalock presented Dr. Witherspoon with a ceritifcate of recognition.
Terry Oglesby, City Architect
- Creig Hoskins of Creig Hoskins Architecture is working on the design phase of the Inglenook Library. These plans must go to the planning committee for review.
- Pratt City has received a notice to proceed. The estimated date of completion is June 27, 2013.
- North Birmingham renovations/repairs are complete. There is a problem with the air conditioning and the contractor for the renovation project is assessing the issue.
- The Pratt City Library received $50,000 from the Daniel Foundation to purchase furniture for the new Library.
- The Birmingham Public Library has been named a 2012 Star Library.
- Judge Vowell commented on the efficiency of the Board meeting.
- Dr. Witherspoon stated that it is important for the Board to recognize staff and also thanked her peers for the recognition for her work at Girls Incorporated of Central Alabama.
- Dora Sims thanked the Library Board for the efficiency of the Board meeting and also commented on the pictures that were placed at the parking lot entrance to the Library.
- Sam Rumore stated that the Friends bake sale on Election Day was fantastic. The Friends gave out information to patrons and solicited donations. They received over $400.00.
- Georgia Blair attended the Arthur Shores Exhibit on Sunday, November 4, 2012. Mrs. Blair also stated that she is a member of the Jefferson County Democratic Council which Arthur Shores founded as well as commented on the article in the ALA National Magazine that congratulated Chanda Temple on her new position as the Public Relations Director.
- Nell Allen stated that the December Board meeting will be her last and that she has enjoyed being a member of the Birmingham Public Library Board. Mrs. Allen also stated that West End, Five Points West, the Library Director, and staff have put together great youth programs as well as that the Library Board should not micromanage the staff.
- Katrina Watson stated that she was delighted to served on the Library Board and that she loves seeing the staff get recognized for their service and promotions. Mrs. Watson also suggested that the Library Wish list be updated to include a general donation option.
- Regina Ammon, President of the Friends, stated that the $400.00 raised at the bake sale will be used for a one year subscription to Wishlist and also requested that regionals send in any requests they may have for new equipment, etc.
- Angela Hall thanked the Board for their support. Since the new logo launch, the Library continues to move forward. The Library is acquiring new supporters.
- Renee Blalock stated that Kelsey Bates has developed a campaign for the Library Wishlist and has received a $1,000 challenge grant from a member of the Foundation Board.
- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch stated that she placed Chanda Temple and Kelsey Bates in the ALA National Magazine for their job placements with the Library as well as Lillie Fincher's information when she passed away. Mrs. Welch thanked Jennifer Neely, Renee Blalock, and Angela Hall for their work and also read a quote by Richard Bach and reiterated that there is much work still left to be done. All Board members will remain on the Board until appointments/reappointments are made in either December or January. Mrs. Welch thanked Nicole King for her work.
- Renee Blalock, Secretary