Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
October 25, 2012
Central Library Boardroom
Meeting Called By
Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President
Type of Meeting
Regular Board Meeting
Trustees: Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President; Gwendolyn Amamoo, Vice-President; Nell Allen, Georgia Morgan Blair, Samuel Rumore, Dora Sims, Judge Scott Vowell, Katrina Watson, Dr. Monique Gardner-Witherspoon
Call To Order
- Meeting called to order by President Gwendolyn B. Welch.
- Gwedolyn B. Guster Welch gave the invocation.
- Angela Hall introduced the new Chief of Security, Roderick Gadson and the new Director of Development, Kelsey Bates.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the agenda. Nell Allen seconded the motion, which carried.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the consent agenda. Nell Allen seconded the motion, which carried.
- The security staff was recognized for their service to the Library and were presented with certificates of apprecation.
Terry Oglesby, City Architect
- The North Birmingham HVAC and roof replacement is completed. The Library reopened to the public on Monday, October 15, 2012.
- The funds are in place for the Pratt City Library reconstruction. A preconstruction meeting is currently being held.
Nicole King, City Attorney
- Georgia Blair moved that the Library Board enter into executive session to discuss pending litigation. Nell Allen seconded the motion, which carried.
October 29 - November 2 is Friends of the Library Week.
- The Friends have launched a new website which includes the Library's "wish list".
- The Friends Bookstore will be hosting a "friends only" sale as well as a silent auction.
- Regina Ammon stated that Dafina Ward is a great asset to the Friends.
- Samuel Rumore visited the Old Chicago Public Library that has been turned into a cultural center as well as the Harold Washington Library in which there were 2 displays being shown from the Birmingham Public Library Archives. Mr. Rumore also noted that the Harold Washington Library does not have a Friends Bookstore.
- Dora Sims stated that she is excited about the branch renovations, thanked Regina Ammon for her service, and reminded each Board member to contribute $10.00 for the Freedom to Read Renewal which is due in November.
Georgia Blair congratulated the Public Relations team for their hard work. Ms. Blair attended the Friday, October 19, 2012 screening of The Barber of Birmingham where there were 45 attendees and two other foot soldiers other than herself.
- Nell Allen stated that she had three objectives when joining the Birmingham Public Library Board and those were 1. to see that we received a new library in West End (we did), 2. to see that more programs were offered to kids (we did), and to see that the Five Points West Library developed a green space outside the Library (we did). Mrs. Allen also thanked staff for a wonderful Staff Day.
- Dr. Witherspoon stated that she heard about how great Staff Day was.
- Gwendolyn Amamoo distributed a flyer about the Family Creative Art Night to be held at a couple of branch libraries. Mrs. Amamoo thanked the staff for a wonderful Staff Day as well as the Library Board for the efficiency of the meeting.
- Katrina Watson stated that the Community Investment Network Conference was successful and that the tour of the Archives led to letters of support being sent to the Mayor's office by conference attendees. Mrs. Watson inquired as to whether or not the Library will display Archives material in 2013 and also stated that she has been promoted to the Director of Marketing at the Alys Stephens Center.
- Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch stated that she has also visited the Harold Washington Library and that it is a nice Library. Mrs. Welch also stated that she hopes that the Library Board members have a passion for all library branches and not just those in their district and thanked Katrina Watson for leading the Community Investment Network Conference attendees to write letters to the Mayor. The Mayor has asked each City Councilor to come up with three projects for the bond issue. Mrs. Welch thanked the Library Board for their work.
- Angela Hall stated the Young Professionals have held their first luncheon meeting, that the Library is moving forward with a new Director of Development and a new Director of Public Relations, and that the Foundation and Friends are getting energized.
Irene S. Blalock, Secretary