Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
August 25, 2011
Central Library Boardroom
Meeting Called By
Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President
Type of Meeting
Regular Board Meeting
Trustees: Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President; Dora Sims, Vice-President, Nell Allen, Gwendolyn R. Amamoo, Georgia Morgan Blair, Reverend Anthony Johnson, Judge Shanta Owens, Patricia Rumore, Samuel Rumore, Katrina Watson
Call To Order
- Meeting called to order by President Gwendolyn B. Welch.
Angela Hall read an amendment to ordinance which notes the President of the Friends group as an advisory member to the Library Board. Birmingham City Code 2-5-72 Ordinance No. 11-97
- The invocation was given by BPL employee, Michelle Andrews. Georgia Blair presented Ms. Andrews with a certificate of appreciation.
- Dora Sims moved the approval of the July Board minutes. Katrina Watson seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the consent agenda. Gwendolyn Amamoo seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
Public Relations Committee
- The PR Committee met on August 15, 2011.
- The possibility of a new BPL logo was discussed. There was also discussion of the library hosting a special event, similar to the museum's "Art On the Rocks" events, as well as producing a E-Newsletter, and creating a Junior Board group.
- Dora Sims, chair of the Public Relations Committee, submitted the notes as information only.
- The Fundraising Committee met on August 16, 2011.
- The 2011 BPL Campaign was discussed as well as current and upcoming grants, new happenings with the Friends, meeting room fees, and more fundraising ideas.
- Gwendolyn Amamoo, chair of the Fundraising Committee, submitted the notes as information only.
- The Personnel Committee met with Renee Blalock on Monday, August 22, 2011 to discuss the results of the Director's Evaluation. Renee will give a monthly report on her goals as Library Director.
- Georgia Blair, chair of the Personnel Committee, submitted the notes as information only.
- Renee Blalock was not present for the August Meeting. The content below was submitted in writing prior to the meeting. Angela Hall gave a brief overview of the Director's Report.
Finance and Budget Update
- Let me know if you have any questions regarding the budget reports. We have not heard from the auditor. If we have not heard by early September I will check on it. We usually are audited in the Fall.
- We made a transfer of two coordinators this month. This was done to give each of them a new opportunity and to refresh the two regions involved, the Southern and the Northern, with the "fresh eyes" of a new coordinator as we have done for the Eastern and Western regions.
- I have continued to increase my visits to branches and did so one day in the company of Mrs. Welch. We enjoyed it very much and plan to repeat. I continue to be impressed with the creativity and diligence of BPL's staff. They decorate for each season and provide interesting activities and displays for our users. At Springville Road I was very impressed with the bookmarks and signs they have made to guide people who do not find books by their favorite author on the shelf to other authors who write in the same genre or similar style.
- I had the difficult duty of delivering letters to some of our part time JCLC funded employees informing them they will not have a job after September 30. These cuts are being made due to the loss of funding from the Jefferson County Commission. JCLC is also funded through State Aid to Public Libraries which is distributed on a per capita basis and member fees which are paid each quarter by each member library according to several criteria of use of the system. This funding is adequate to continue all full time employees paid by the JCLC including the two who staff the Powderly Library and the Books By Mail program. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have regarding the funding or operations of JCLC.
- BPL continues working with City staff and consultants on the Comprehensive Plan Project. At present we are distributing fliers about the project.
Gifts and Grants Received
- APLS awarded BPL a $7000 collection development grant to help restore the collection for the Pratt City Branch.
- We have received a $2500 grant from the Daniel Foundation to help fund the Eat Drink Read Write Festival.
- Dora Sims gave $100 to the BPL Board Fund.
- We are kicking off a new donation campaign in September, but you don't have to wait go to our Web page and click on the "Donate Now" button and make an early contribution. You will be hearing lots more about this soon. We would like for all board members to give to this drive. The amount is not important, but having all board members support the campaign is.
Current and Upcoming Events
- September will bring a series of programs and events centered on food and writing about it. This is called Eat Drink Read Write Festival and is cosponsored by several local groups including Slow Food, DISCO (a group that works with kids on writing skills), the Foodie Book Club, and BPL. The programs will take place mostly at the library from September 13-17. The full PR information for this series will be distributed soon.
- Bards and Brews will be on September 16 as part of the Eat Drink Read Write Festival at the Central Library at 6:30 PM. (Attendees must be 18 or over and IDs will be checked.) This program is supported by a $1,000 grant from the Alabama State Council on the Arts.
BPL Staff Day will be on October 20 at the Birmingham CrossPlex. All board members are cordially invited to attend. The event will be a half day in the morning.
Exhibits in Central's Gallery
- July 23—September 9 Awareness of the Intangibles (Cynthia Jones, Acrylic Paintings)
- We would love for trustees to write reviews for Season's Readings 2011 and it's never too soon to do so. You should have received instructions from Carrie Cleverdon, the staff member who is managing this project. Please, get your reviews in by September 1.
- Dial a Story - Call 226-3650 to listen to a great story over the phone!
Be sure to check the BPL Blog at http://bplolinenews.blogspot.com/ to keep up with all the activities going on at this library. You can subscribe and have any updates sent to your email if you have not already done so.
- Angela Hall asked if there were any questions regarding the Director's report.
- The December Board meeting has been rescheduled to Thursday, December 8, 2011.
- The Friends group is working on a retail space and a grand opening in the Book Store as well as bake sales that will start in Fall 2011.
- Katrina Watson visited ten library branches with Gwendolyn Welch. Mrs. Watson especially enjoyed the activities going on at East Ensley.
- Georgia Blair visited the North Birmingham and Powderly branches and will attempt to visit more in the near future. Angela Hall was honored by the non-profit group Brenda's Brown Bosom Buddies.
- Samuel Rumore is finished reviewing all Nina Miglianico's papers. The Southern Womens' Archives was an early group mentioned in the papers.
- Gwendolyn Welch thanked BPL staff. Mrs. Welch also requested the procedure on banning patrons. At the September Board meeting, Mrs. Welch would like the computer training center to make a presentation. An email was sent to Dr. Craig Witherpsoon to request paperwork that was left behind when desegregation of the Birmingham City schools was taking place.
Irene S. Blalock, Secretary