Birmingham Public Library Board Minutes
December 10, 2009
Central Library Boardroom
Meeting Called By
Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President
Type of Meeting
Regular Board Meeting and Work Session
Trustees: Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch, President; Judge Shanta' Craig Owens, Vice-President; Bryding Adams, Thomas Adams, Nell Allen, Gwendolyn R. Amamoo, Georgia Morgan Blair, Reverend Anthony Johnson, Samuel Rumore, Dora Sims
Call To Order
- Meeting called to order by President Gwendolyn B. Guster Welch.
- Gwendolyn Welch stated that the mission of the Birmingham Public Library is to provide the highest quality library service to our citizens for lifelong learning, cultural enrichment, and enjoyment.
- The invocation was given by Richard Manoske, an employee at the Five Points West Library. Mrs. Sims presented him with a certificate of recognition.
Approval of Agenda
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the agenda. Dora Sims seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
Approval of Consent Agenda
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the consent agenda. Dora Sims seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
- Gwendolyn Welch read an excerpt from the 2009 president's message. The complete message will be posted on BPL's web site.
In lieu of a monthly director's report, Irene Blalock distributed a document explaining how the library process works and how work gets done. How BPL gets work done.doc
Swearing in of Trustee Reverend Anthony Johnson
- Judge Shanta' Owens swore in Reverend Anthony Johnson.
Introduction of Angela Fisher Hall
- Renee Blalock introduced Angela Fisher Hall, the new associate director.
L2 Crew and Annual Report
- Robert Jones, Richard Manoske, Hunter Murphy, Michael Fagin, and Melinda Shelton (members of the L2 Crew) presented the annual report video.
- Irene Blalock reviewed the proposed collection development policy.
- Nell Allen asked for a listing of all BPL employees who are involved in selecting books for the libraries.
- Irene Blalock stated that the groups that select the books for libraries all work together and the collections are recommendations for purchase. These groups attend training on book selection.
- Samuel Rumore moved the approval of the collection management policy. Reverend Johnson seconded the motion. A vote was taken and the motion passed (9-1). Nell Allen abstained.
- Renee Blalock will work with Gwendolyn Welch to schedule a board meeting in the Collection Management department.
Samuel Rumore presented an overview from a workshop that he attended on ethics on the Code of Alabama 1975 Code of Ethics. Copies were distributed.
- Dora Sims thanked the library coordinators for the job that they do.
- Reverend Johnson stated that the board should be notified in advance of all meetings and that they should be open door meetings.
- Reverend Johnson stated that some BPL libraries have requested Saturday, December 26 as a day off. Reverend Johnson moved approval of the closing of all libraries on Saturday, December 26 and reopening on Sunday, December 27. Nell Allen seconded the motion. The motion was approved (9-1). Thomas Adams abstained.
- Georgia Blair moved the approval of the 2010 board meeting schedule. Judge Owens seconded the motion, which carried unanimously.
- Reverend Johnson was asked by Mildred Horn for information on how books are considered for purchase. He stated that the Nominating Committee should have announced its planned meeting, and that he should have been notified regarding the swearing-in ceremony.
- Bryding Adams stated that all committee meetings should be announced.
- Georgia Blair stated that there was an announcement made in October that the Nominating Committee would meet. The exact day was not announced. The library director and secretary were instructed to announce the committee meetings. Georgia Blair also reported that she visited West End and Smithfield libraries on Patron Appreciation Day.
- Gwendolyn Amamoo stated that she received an e-mail from Sally Gardner Reed, Director of ALTAFF, stating that the nomination and awards meetings are closed. Reed stated that the Nominating Committee meets in private to prevent the public from hearing negative comments about the nominees. She stated that Gwendolyn Welch, Nell Allen, and Dora Sims were also included on the e-mail and received the information. All procedures were followed for the BPL Nominating Commitee meeting.
- Nell Allen stated that BPL has a great staff and great board members. BPL should not follow ALTAFF's Nominating Committee policy. The library board should be transparent. The Nominating Committee should be open as are all the other committee meetings. Nell Allen visited West End and Five Points West libraries on Patron Appreciation Day. The Local Author's Expo was a nice event, but should have been marketed more. She welcomed Angela Fisher Hall to the library.
- Samuel Rumore stated that he would like to attend the PLA Conference.
- Gwendolyn Welch stated that each trustee should become familiar with the Birmingham Public Library by-laws. She stated that the annual committee information is listed in the by-laws which outlines elections, etc. She said that is inexcusable if board members are not familiar with the by-laws by which the board is governed. She thanked administration for their work. She visited ten libraries on Patron Appreciation Day and encouraged board members to visit all libraries, not just the ones in their community. She stated that it is a board member's responsibility to read the minutes, come to the scheduled meetings, and participate. She stated that all committee chairs will remain the same for 2010; however, additional members will be assigned to some committees.
Irene S. Blalock, Secretary